Newtown is a quintessential New England town located in northern Fairfield County. Originally founded in 1705 by English colonists, Newtown is known today for its remarkable Main Street with landmark flagpole at the center, its numerous historic homes and buildings with unique backgrounds, the high-rated school system, and idyllic parks and open spaces.
Newtown has recently become known as the restaurant capital of upper Fairfield County, boasting an impressive array of exceptional restaurants which serve local, farm-to-table flavors and cuisines from around the world.
The Newtown Public School District includes four elementary schools (Hawley, Head O’Meadow, Middle Gate, and Sandy Hook) which serve grades K-4, Reed Intermediate School which serves grades 5–6, Newtown Middle School which serves grades 7–8, and Newtown High School which serves grades 9–12.
Newtown also has several private and parochial schools: St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic School, the Fraser-Woods Montessori School, and the Housatonic Valley Waldorf School.
Newtown’s Parks and Recreation department offers a large variety of programs for residents, including: swimming, tennis, softball, baseball, volleyball, lacrosse and soccer, as well as exceptional playgrounds at Treadwell and Dickinson town parks. Newtown also offers many places to hike and enjoy nature, including the Orchard Hill Nature Center, Huntington State Park, Upper Paugussett State Park, and Holcombe Hill. Newtown’s newer Eichler’s Cove in Sandy Hook provides a sandy beach for swimming, and a place to launch kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, boats, and personal watercraft. The EverWonder Children’s Museum in Newtown is a fun place to take children on a rainy day.
Newtown has a number of local landmarks in addition to the aforementioned flagpole, first erected in 1876. The Newtown Bee, our local weekly newspaper, has been keeping residents up-to-date since 1877 and has been owned and operated by the Smith family since 1881. Across from the flagpole sits the Newtown Meeting House which served as the town’s Congregational church for many years. The rooster weather vane, which has become a well-known town symbol, is located atop the Meeting House and is said to have been used as a target by French soldiers encamped in 1781 during the Revolutionary War.
Edmond Town Hall
Constructed in 1930 by Newtown benefactress Mary Elizabeth Hawley, the Edmond Town Hall is known for its lovely theatre which still shows second-run movies for three dollars a ticket and is a popular spot for visitors in and around Newtown. The town hall hosts a few town offices and offers meeting rooms for rent to the community. The historic Alexandria Room is used for weddings, parties and recitals. The gymnasium is used for community sports events, private parties, and arts or craft shows.
Cyrenius H. Booth Library
Newtown’s public library was opened in 1932, another gift of Mary Elizabeth Hawley who named it for her maternal grandfather – a doctor who served the town from 1820 until his death in 1871. The library was expanded in the late 1990’s to provide meeting spaces and to display its collection of art and historic artifacts.
Learn More About Newtown:
Newtown Homes for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.